Skip to main content

Hartford Public Library / Magnus K. Kristoffersen, Librarian, 1943-1960

 File — Box: 4 & 5

Scope and Content

From the Collection:

This collection contains the annual reports for the organization known originally as the Hartford Young Men’s Institute 1839-1878, then the Hartford Library Association 1878 - 1893 and then the Hartford Public Library 1893 - present. The Reports begin in 1840 and continue to the present with only the years 1842, 1843, 1845, 1859, 1863, 1867, 1881 missing.


  • 1943-1960

Access Restrictions

The records are stored in a restricted area and therefore may not be available on a same-day basis.


From the Collection: 3.5 linear_feet (7 boxes)

Language of Materials

From the Collection: English


Plans for post war service needs for returning soldiers, needs of the growing African American population, continued discussion about the real need for a new central library building and the Hartford Collection was formed to collect and preserve the history of the city. The branch library system continued to expand, The city voted to support the bond issue and by 1954, construction began on the new building designed by Schutz and Goodwin, The building opened to the public on January 2, 1957

Repository Details

Part of the Hartford History Center Repository

Hartford History Center
Hartford Public Library
500 Main St
Hartford CT 06103 USA