David C. Mahoney Company Records
Scope and Content
The David C. Mahoney Collection in the Hartford History Center is primarily composed of records from the files of the David C. Mahoney Co., Inc., a West Hartford real estate company, documenting commercial and residential property in Hartford listed by the firm in the 1950s and 1960s. Buildings include houses, apartment buildings, restaurants, stores, office buildings, theaters, and other businesses. Most of the records include detailed descriptions, photographs of the structures, and site plans. Some of the photographs show parking lots, automobiles, billboards, and highways. Some contain letters addressed to Robert J. Bliss, director of the Hartford Redevelopment Agency. Many but not all of the properties were affected by urban renewal and some of the structures documented no longer exist. Additional photographs document buildings that were demolished during construction projects in the 1970s and 1980s. One box contains real estate maps which include the names of property owners and show the locations of many of the buildings represented in the collection.
The records are stored in a restricted area and therefore may not be available on a same-day basis.
See Hartford History Center’s Collection Use policy. Permission to publish from the David C. Mahoney Company Records must be obtained in writing from the Executive Director of the Hartford History Center, and a copy of the published work may be requested by the Hartford History Center. The Hartford History Center reserves the right to refuse permission to publish, etc. to those who have not complied with its policies. Use of the collections will normally not be permitted for the purpose of promotion of commercial products and services or political campaigns. Hartford History Center at Hartford Public Library reserves the right to limit the number of photographic prints/captures and to restrict the use or reproduction of rare, fragile, or valuable objects.
David C. Mahoney was born in 1903. In 1926, he opened a real estate office in New Britain, and from 1932 to 1945 he was director of Connecticut General Insurance Company’s real estate department. In 1945, he established the David C. Mahoney Company, later known as RLM Co., in West Hartford. An active member of the Hartford Real Estate Board, Mahoney advocated the rehabilitation of older buildings rather than demolition and slum clearance. Following his retirement, he moved to Delray Beach, Florida, where he died in 1987. The David C. Mahoney Collection was organized by Mahoney’s son, Richard Mahoney.
2.25 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Real estate records including site plans and photographs for various properties in Hartford.
HHC Closed Stacks, Range 17
The collection is closed. Additional accruals are not expected.
Collection was organized by Richard Mahoney and processed by Nancy Finlay.
EAD Finding Aid created April 2019 by Kathy Foulke
- Apartment houses
- Boarding houses
- Commercial buildings
- Industrial buildings
- Motion picture theaters
- Parking lots
- Real estate development
- Real property--Maps
- Real property--Valuation
- Site plans
- Stores, Retail
- Tenement houses
- Urban renewal
- David C. Mahoney Company Records
- A Guide to the collection at the Hartford History Center
- April 2019
- Language of description
- Script of description