Hartford Town and City Clerk Archives: Public Works
Scope and Content
The public works series comprises records pertaining to bridges (both one to span the Connecticut River and those within the city, 3 linear feet), dikes (1.5 linear feet), docks (.5 linear feet), grade crossings (.5 linear feet), landings (.3 linear feet), pumping stations (.3 linear feet), quaries (.3 linear feet), rivers (.5 linear feet), and sidewalks (3 linear feet). These locations are maintained by the public works department, but the documents are largely created by the Court of Common Council, the Board of Street Commissioners, and other committees and commissions.
The Town and City Clerk Archives has been split into several additional finding aids: Boards and Commissions, Building Permits, City Property, Corporations, Court Matters, Education, Licenses and License Applications, Mayor and Council, Property Deeds and Releases of Attachment, Public Safety, Public Works, Selectmen’s Records, Sewers, Streets, Taxation, Town and City Officers, Transportation, Vital Records, and Zoning.
- Majority of material found within 1782 - 1946
- 1635-2010 (Entire archive)
The records are stored in a restricted area and therefore may not be available on a same-day basis.
Permission to publish from the Town and City Clerk Archive must be obtained in writing from the head of the Hartford History Center, and a copy of the published work may be requested. The Hartford History Center reserves the right to refuse permission to publish, etc. to those who have not compiled with its policies. Use of the collections will normally not be permitted for the purpose of promotion of commercial products and services, or political campaigns. Hartford History Center reserves the right to limit the number of photographic prints/captures and to restrict the use or reproduction of rare, fragile, or valuable objects.
In 2005, the Town/City Clerk of Hartford, Daniel Carey, under a grant from the Connecticut State Library, hired a firm to survey the Clerk's five story vault. The next year, under a second grant, an archival aide was hired to remove the records and documents from the vault. They were sorted into record groups, placed in acid free folders, and then into manuscript boxes. In the fall of 2010, with the permission of the Mayor of Hartford, the Court of Common Council of Hartford, the Town/City Clerk of Hartford, and the Public Records Administrator and State Archivist of the Connecticut State Library, the Town and City Clerk Archive was formally transferred to the Hartford History Center, Hartford Public Library.
10 linear_feet (approximately)
Language of Materials
The archive is a comprehensive record of the City of Hartford, as collected by the Town and City Clerk Office. It includes record groups by department, government entity, or area of focus, as well as single subjects, such as bridges, railroads, and celebrations. Additionally, the collection holds vital statistics for select years.
The Hartford Town and City Clerk Archive remains open, and individual series may continue to receive additional accruals.
The collection was initially processed by Wilson H. Faude, beginning in 2006.
- Dikes (Engineering)
- Hartford (Conn.)
- Hartford (Conn.) -- Department of Engineering
- Mayors -- Connecticut -- Hartford
- Public works
- Pumping stations
- Railroad crossings
- Railroads -- Connecticut -- Hartford
- Streets -- Connecticut -- Hartford
- Town clerks -- Connecticut -- Hartford
- Public Works
- A guide to the collection at the Hartford History Center
- Conversion to ArchivesSpace by Jennifer Sharp
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Edition statement
- The initial finding aid was completed in 2012. It was updated and uploaded to ArchivesSpace in 2021.